Finding the best diapers for your baby is a pressing matter for most parents because if you have a bad diaper experience, you don’t quickly forget it. Thankfully, there are plenty of diaper brands to choose from, so finding the “best” diapers for your precious little bundle of joy shouldn’t be too difficult.
At the end of the day, as long as you are getting a trusted brand diaper, you really can’t go wrong. There are some that stand out above the rest, however, and we want to share the scoop! So, here are our top choices when it comes to the best diapers on the shelves!
Consider Cloth Diapers
The first thing you may want to consider is cloth diapers. Cloth diapers are very popular again because they are better for the environment. Many diapers are coated in plastic that won’t break down (ever) - and with more than 20 billion diapers thrown away every year, every parent who switches to cloth is doing their part to save the earth.
Of course, cloth diapers are also more cost-effective for parents. Cloth diapers can be reused over and over again as baby grows up, and most can be worn for a long period of time.
Even so, many daycare centers don’t allow for the use of reusable diapers, so you will really only get to use them when you have control of diapering.
There is a learning curve to not only putting cloth diapers on your baby, but also to taking care of those diapers as well. You are giving yourself more work, as you will have to launder the diapers, but once you get the hang of it, it isn’t so bad.
Even if you use cloth diapers, you may want to keep some “regular” diapers around in case you run out and can’t get the laundry in right away. Disposables are also better for when you are on the go.
Disposable Diapers Are Popular for A Reason
It’s easy to see that disposable diapers are so popular for a few reasons. They are easy to use and as long as you are using the right size and your baby doesn’t use the bathroom more than the average baby, you shouldn’t run into any issues. Today’s diapers are really absorbent, so babies can even sleep through the night. Sizing can be difficult across brands, however, and it isn’t always consistent, so you will have to read the label to see what size fits your little one.
Disposable diapers are easier for parents who are traveling or on-the-go, as they can be thrown into a trash can pretty much anywhere. Almost any store will carry at least some kind of disposable diaper. Most will even have indicator strips on them which help parents see when the diaper is full, taking some of the guesswork out of the situation.
What About Organic Diapers?
Every parent wants what’s best for their child, and when you put a diaper on the most delicate areas of a baby’s body, you want to ensure you aren’t doing any damage. You need to know that while there are some diapers that are “better” than others, there is no brand that is completely organic. So, research is key! Always look over the ingredients in diapers to ensure no harsh chemicals come in contact with your baby’s skin. Look for diapers that are kind to your baby (and the environment). Diapers should be made with natural materials, like bamboo, and packaged in biodegradable materials.
We love Dyper.com for the best diapering experience. These highly absorbent diapers even come as a money-saving subscription service, so you never run out of diapers. It’s the ultimate time, money, and environment saver (and not to mention the healthiest option for your little one).
Do You Want A Scented Diaper?
Parents often think scented diapers will help mask some of the bad smells that permeate from diapers. Trust us, we’ve all been there when a poopy situation arises! The good news is that most of these brands only use a small amount of scent, so there isn’t any risk of irritation or rash. It’s still important to pay attention to your child’s skin, as some babies have more sensitive skin than others.
Something else to consider is that scented diapers’s neutralizing smells may rub off on other things when they are in a diaper bag. Make sure you have separate containers for snacks if you are packing them together!
Quick Guide to Find the Best Diapers for Your Baby
Now to pick your favorite diaper! Even if you have one type of diaper in mind, you are still going to need to pick from quite a long list. So, we’re here to help! We’ve come up with a quick guide to figure out what type of diaper to use to stock your diaper bag.
Here are a few other things to consider before you start buying in bulk:
- How easy are they to find? Your favorite diapers should be readily available, if possible. While it is great to get diapers online or from specialty sellers, it can be difficult to find them when you are on vacation or in the middle of the night when you realize you’re fastening on the last one.
- How good are the tabs? There’s nothing worse than a diaper that falls off or sags when full. You want to be sure that your diapers have strong tabs. They also have to be adjustable - you want to be able to tighten the diaper or to try to get a quick peek to see if there’s something inside.
- Cost is important. Sure, we all want to get the best diapers we can, but you definitely need to think about cost as well. Try not to get something that is too much for you to afford. There are plenty of affordable options out there - and brands that offer coupons!
- Wetness indicators: We’ve touched on these already, but these things are really great. These indicators will change colors when your baby wets their diaper, which is perfect for new parents who are still trying to understand the signs that their baby needs to be changed. Plus, it is more comfortable for everyone than just poking the diaper to see if it is squishy.
- Don’t fall in love with something too quickly. There is someone who has a bigger say than you do: your baby. Sometimes, a baby just won’t like the feel of a specific diaper, and you will have to switch. It’s okay! Most stores will allow you to trade or return unopened diapers.
- Comfort. The best diapers have a pocketed waistband not only because they keep everything contained, but because they bend and mold with your baby’s movements, making them more comfortable.
- Some brands are more far-reaching. Babies grow quickly and when you find a brand that you like, you’ll definitely want to stick with it. However, some brands don’t take babies from birth to potty training.
- Another quick tip? Once you have found the type of diaper you like, consider getting them automatically delivered to you. No parent wants to be caught with their last diaper in the middle of the night. That’s every parent’s worst nightmare!
Talk to Other Parents
It seems like such a simple question, which may be why parents don’t talk about it enough. However, if you want to hear people get passionate about something, ask them about the worst diapers they’ve ever used! It will be quite a conversation and you’ll certainly learn about which brands you don’t want to try.
Ask parents what diapers they like and which ones they don’t to get a comprehensive overview. It’s a great place to start.
The Best Diaper Varies
From Huggies to Luvs to Pampers, you have options galore when it comes to choosing the best diaper for your precious little one. Use this guide as a way to explore your options to find the best diapers for your baby and your lifestyle.
There isn’t going to be a “one size fits all” answer for anyone. Instead, there are just some great options to sift through, and you may have to employ a little trial and error process before making your ultimate pick. If you try something and don’t like it, simply move onto something else. No worries!
The best diapers for your baby will really depend on what you want, what’s affordable, what is easiest for your lifestyle, and ultimately, what your baby decides works for them. There’s no need to feel bad if you aren’t using a brand that mommy bloggers are raving about. Instead, just go with your gut: you know what is best for your baby better than anyone!